Give me some advice! About chemical and bioprocess engineeri

Offtopics, Meinungen, Gedanken. Lustiges, Bewegendes: Die Plauderecke. Und: Allgemeine Veranstaltungshinweise

Moderator: (M) Mod.-Team Allgemein

Antworten
sinanta
TalkING. Newbie
TalkING. Newbie

Give me some advice! About chemical and bioprocess engineeri

Beitrag von sinanta » So, 20. Apr. 14, 15:23

Hi guys, I am finishing my bachelor degree in Istanbul, and next year I am thinking of doing my master in Germany.
I got accepted to chemical and bioprocess engineering, I am also waiting replies from TU Dresden, Kaiserslautern and Bonn..I have noticed that some people are not satisfied with the school.. I am sure every school has negative aspects to it.. But I have some questions..

if the lessons are so different from what I've learned in my bachelor and if I find everything difficult, do I easiliy fail or can I find some people to help me out and study systematically and still pass with nice grades?

As a Turkish person who is going to Germany for the first time, what would the chances be when I look for a job afterwards? (without native german language skills?) or do phD at a better university, maybe in the USA or England?

Thanks a lot!!
Sinan T

noise
TalkING. Freak
TalkING. Freak

Beitrag von noise » Mi, 23. Apr. 14, 23:16

Dear Sinanta,

if you thinks this university sucks - then why even ask? If you have the grades/money for a MIT-PhD Program then go right ahead :-) Now that we got that out of the way:

if the lessons are so different from what I've learned in my bachelor and if I find everything difficult, do I easiliy fail
I do think very few people here will be able to tell you the difference between the classes in Hamburg an Istanbul. Maybe try here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/207867219280930/

One thing most students will be able to tell you: You will fail, more than once.
or can I find some people to help me out and study systematically and still pass with nice grades?
Yes there are nice people here and its usually either necessary or a huge asset to form study groups for the different lectures

As a Turkish person who is going to Germany for the first time, what would the chances be when I look for a job afterwards? (without native german language skills?)
No expierience here, but engineering is still a field where a large skilled workforce is needed. If you are willing to go to a smaller company you can find lots of opportunities. You will find that there is quite a Turkish community in Hamburg too.
As for the German language skills: You can find your curriculum here: http://www.tuhh.de/tuhh/studium/studier ... c-imp.html - as you will notice not all of the courses are in English. But especially for your thesis and project work it will be an enormous asset if you are able to speak and read German. Afaik there are not as many topics in English as there are in German. Communication is the key here (also for meeting other students). Maybe try and learn some? Try this page: https://www.duolingo.com/

or do phD at a better university, maybe in the USA or England?
Naturally this will depend on your skill, especially regarding scientific work. German universities are recognized as full universities that provide a profound education - so it will only depend on the excellence your own work.

Dennis Worry

Beitrag von Dennis Worry » Do, 24. Apr. 14, 11:20

+9000 @noise
Zur Vereinfachung ist das Skalarprodukt des zu untersuchenden Vektorraumes als Flächenintegral zweier unbekannter Funktionen definiert.
Hellgate Harburg (tm)
http://rs85.rapidshare.com/files/917478 ... LA1_Dl.pdf

sinanta
TalkING. Newbie
TalkING. Newbie

Beitrag von sinanta » Fr, 23. Mai. 14, 12:42

if you thinks this university sucks - then why even ask? If you have the grades/money for a MIT-PhD Program then go right ahead :-)
I have never studied in or Germany or I dont even know anyone who studied in Germany and I could NOT find the world ranking of TUHH in Times Higher Education or QS rankings thats why I need to make sure its a good one; afterall how many times will I do a master in my life..

My doubts are rather because of the fact that there is no obvious ranking among german universities like there is in USA or UK like 1-Harvard 2-Yale 3- MIT etc.

In Other words, I am not desperate, there are Turkish Universities with #20 world ranking but I especially want Germany to have a better future for myself; so I need to make sure TUHH is not just trash.. because not finding the World Ranking for TUHH scares the s*it out of me :D as if its just a place where the laziest and most desperate people go.. sorry for my language but as I said, I HAVE NO CLUE about education in Germany soo..
as you will notice not all of the courses are in English. But especially for your thesis and project work it will be an enormous asset if you are able to speak and read German. Afaik there are not as many topics in English as there are in German.
The master program is 100% in English and the admission letter claims that school has many partnerships with companies and institutes so that it would be easy for graduates to get recruited; so I was wondering if its possible to get along in English in the office (I mean the office needs to operate in English obviously PS: I am aware that there are German courses offered + I hold a B1 German Sprach Diplom myself)
Sinan T

Illmatic
TalkING. Freak
TalkING. Freak

Beitrag von Illmatic » Fr, 23. Mai. 14, 17:37

Hey Sinanta,
I can just repeat what I said here. Additionally to what I said there I got some friends doing their master at other German TUs and apparently there is no large difference concerning the education. On the other hand there is of course the reputation issue. The TUHH is a rather young university and therefore did not (yet) gain a lot reputation. That's basically the reason that you couldn't find it in international rankings.

To cut a long story short: If you're looking for a world elite university don't come here. But seriously if you would actually consider going to Harvard or MIT you probably wouldn't be on this website ;-) Inside Germany it really doesn't matter THAT much. Of course TUM, KIT and RWTH are more notable universities, but from what I know there is not a real difference in teaching. The quality level is high among almost all German TUs. And who wants to live in Aachen or Garching ;-)
Best wishes,
Axel

Suicide

Beitrag von Suicide » Fr, 23. Mai. 14, 19:07

I participated in some courses at the NUS (which has got a good QS ranking in Southeast Asia) last semester in terms of an exchange and I must admit that I did not really notice a huge difference between the teaching here in Germany and at the NUS. To the best of my belief I think that the lectures at the TUHH are on a decent level and that you should give it a try! Because of the international environment at the TUHH you should also not have any problems to make new friendships. Furthermore, as Illmatic mentioned Hamburg is a nice place to be!

noise
TalkING. Freak
TalkING. Freak

Beitrag von noise » Sa, 24. Mai. 14, 12:08

sinanta hat geschrieben:
if you thinks this university sucks - then why even ask? If you have the grades/money for a MIT-PhD Program then go right ahead :-)
I have never studied in or Germany or I dont even know anyone who studied in Germany and I could NOT find the world ranking of TUHH in Times Higher Education or QS rankings thats why I need to make sure its a good one; afterall how many times will I do a master in my life..
I mean that in a serious way: If you have the possibility (skill/grades & cash) to go to those top US universities do it.
sinanta hat geschrieben: My doubts are rather because of the fact that there is no obvious ranking among german universities like there is in USA or UK like 1-Harvard 2-Yale 3- MIT etc.
Yes there is: http://ranking.zeit.de/che2014/en/
sinanta hat geschrieben: In Other words, I am not desperate, there are Turkish Universities with #20 world ranking but I especially want Germany to have a better future for myself;
So, explain this statment? I read it this way: Turkish universities are more awesome than any other to you, but you want to make more money than you would in Turkey? That would be okay, but then TUHH is also totally okay for you.

Take this ranking for example - I have no idea why a student would care about Research or Citations. Also it doesn't really mention whats included in the single subjects. Imho these rankings are largely biased towards (former) Commonwealth countries...
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... ing-and-IT
sinanta hat geschrieben:I HAVE NO CLUE about education in Germany soo..
The clue is very simple: Its not handed to you for free - you need to work hard.

sinanta hat geschrieben:The master program is 100% in English .... to get along in English in the office
You can get along in English, but it will be harder. If you want good grades and interesting projects you need to speak German. Some times you also won't find a course for a particular module thats in English.

As for the company site: A large cooperation like Airbus usually accepts English speaking people as for smaller companies: It can be difficult, but in Hamburg you'll probably also find companies that speak Turkish.

Dennis Worry

Beitrag von Dennis Worry » Sa, 24. Mai. 14, 12:21

sinanta hat geschrieben:I HAVE NO CLUE about education in Germany soo..
The clue is very simple: Its not handed to you for free - you need to work hard.
Yes, you will not be taught here, like they do in Scandinavia, Anglosaxon countries and most places that derived their educational paradigms from the modern anglosaxon models. I.e. studies here are like a Research course with exams, little teaching.

Just coming here and expecting a pay hike because it is a Masters in Germany is major-league bullcrap because as a foreigner without professional experience any upsides of having graduated in Germany will pale out as

The best would be to go where you can learn the most efficiently and then get real, intense experience in your field in an international enterprise, all the while studying German and seeking to get involved witgh German companies - you are likely to be hired with a 'Kusshand' :D
Zur Vereinfachung ist das Skalarprodukt des zu untersuchenden Vektorraumes als Flächenintegral zweier unbekannter Funktionen definiert.
Hellgate Harburg (tm)
http://rs85.rapidshare.com/files/917478 ... LA1_Dl.pdf

sinanta
TalkING. Newbie
TalkING. Newbie

Beitrag von sinanta » Do, 29. Mai. 14, 19:38

Illmatic in Turkey we are assigned to Universities according to an entrance exam we take similar to GRE or GMAT and the ranking among schools are so obvious like in America so thats why I am obsessed with it, it appears that such a concept doesnt apply for Germany..

Suicide yes I sense that it would be very difficult for me to be dissapointed with the quality of teaching apperentely..

Noise
explain this statment? I read it this way: Turkish universities are more awesome than any other to you, but you want to make more money than you would in Turkey? That would be okay, but then TUHH is also totally okay for you.
There are 2-3 turkish universities that are on times higher educations 50 under 50 list but Turkish engineers earn less than 1000€ when they first start the job and it doesnt increase so much afterwards so I want to build my career in Europe, thats why..

Dennis Eggers
yea sure at least I just wanted to have a stronger factor on my resume that would help me stick out in a job interview in Turkey where 43423 people apply and only 1-2 are chosen [if I can't get a decent job in Germany which has a promising future]
Sinan T

Antworten