International Question (help!) :)

Support for International Students in Hamburg as well as German Students abroad.

Moderatoren: (M) Mod.-Team Allgemein, (M) Mod.-Team Betreuung Internat. Stud.

Taurin
Exzellenter Poster
Exzellenter Poster

Beitrag von Taurin » Sa, 10. Mär. 07, 12:44

For a study abroad this link may be helpfull: http://www.tuhh.de/education/intoffice/ ... ramme.html
Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind. Terry Pratchett

Adnan
TalkING. Fan
TalkING. Fan

Beitrag von Adnan » Di, 13. Mär. 07, 22:25

Well I've decided to move into Hamburg, but I don't want this Sommersemester in Vienna to go to waste, so I decided to take some of the classes here. But would the classes I take here at TU-W be recognised at TU-HH?

I'm only taking these:
Grundlagen der Konstruktionslehre (Vorlesung)
Thermodynamik 1 (Vorlesung)
Organische Chemie (Vorlesung) (ich glaub "organische chemie" und "chemie 2" sind eh gleich.. oder? das hab ich irgendwo gelesen)
Informatik 1 (Vorlesung)

So everything that I chose is a Vorlesung.. does that mean that at TUHH I would not have to take these classes anymore? Or do I have to take some other extra things like Uebungen oder so..?

Thanks I appreciate the help :)

Dauergast

Beitrag von Dauergast » Mi, 14. Mär. 07, 00:08

In general, the examination regulations envision the case to switch university and get former examinations accepted at the TUHH (see §12,13). I know of some cases where partial acceptance was granted (usually it won't fit perfectly). The key point is the "equivalence" of your courses.

The courses you intend to take sound quite similar but you should also watch out to match the list of topics covered and the course format (lecture, lab, tutorial; how many hours per week / per term?).

I strongly recommend to contact Kerstin Weber to get some reliable information! Otherwise, you'd still risk to waste the summer term.

By the way, did you talk to anybody at the TUHH about registration and entering the GES program? That should be the first point to be concerned about.

Adnan
TalkING. Fan
TalkING. Fan

Beitrag von Adnan » Mi, 14. Mär. 07, 00:49

Dauergast hat geschrieben:In general, the examination regulations envision the case to switch university and get former examinations accepted at the TUHH (see §12,13). I know of some cases where partial acceptance was granted (usually it won't fit perfectly). The key point is the "equivalence" of your courses.

The courses you intend to take sound quite similar but you should also watch out to match the list of topics covered and the course format (lecture, lab, tutorial; how many hours per week / per term?).

I strongly recommend to contact Kerstin Weber to get some reliable information! Otherwise, you'd still risk to waste the summer term.

By the way, did you talk to anybody at the TUHH about registration and entering the GES program? That should be the first point to be concerned about.
No, I did not. Is it difficult to register and enter the GES program? I read the admission requirements and I meet all of them so I thought it's okay... am I mistaken?

Dauergast

Beitrag von Dauergast » Mi, 14. Mär. 07, 10:29

The short answer is "no", if you fulfill the requirements it should be alright.

But checking requirements can only be the first step. In your situation, I'd try to make sure.

The first thing I'd try to make sure is to be admitted. Secondly, I'd see how I can prepare for the program (courses, internship?).

Don't lay back thinking "the guys in the forums said it's gonna be alright" ;)

Adnan
TalkING. Fan
TalkING. Fan

Beitrag von Adnan » Do, 15. Mär. 07, 21:55

If most of you guys here are German then maybe you could answer this question..:

We have quite a lottt of Germans here in Austria, and I asked a lot of them why they came here to Vienna when they could've studied in Germany. They told me that if they had wanted to study in Germany, then they would have waited for about 3 or even 4 years before they can enter university.

Is it true what they're saying? And if it is true, why the hell do they have this rule!!! Doesn't sound like the best idea to me

Count Bubba
TalkING. Champion
TalkING. Champion

Beitrag von Count Bubba » Do, 15. Mär. 07, 22:25

Well, if you were really bad at school, you have to wait a quite long time to get to a university - so it makes sense to go to Austria or someplace else.

I for myself did not have to wait to get to the TUHH. I just assigned here and it worked out. (Don't know why though ;-) )...
"If a President--any President-- allowed his course to be set by those who demonstrate, he would betray the trust of all the rest. Whatever the issue, to allow government policy to be made in the streets would destroy the democratic process. It ...would give the decision, not to the majority, and not to those with the strongest arguments, but to those with the loudest voices."

(Richard M. Nixon, 13. Oktober 1969)

stereo
Uni-Mitarbeiter
Uni-Mitarbeiter
Beitrag von stereo » Do, 15. Mär. 07, 22:38

That is a regulation needed to restrict access to overcrowded fields of study where the number of appliances greatly exceeds the number of seats at the universities. The threshold is calculated every year from the number of applicants and their root mean square of school grades (kind of). If many really good people (in terms of school grades) try to apply the same university, their threshold gets incremented as a line needs to be drawn to actually satisfy such number of student's needs.

And by waiting, your school grade index improves. So sometimes you really need to wait a few years if you really desperately and only want to study what you tried to apply for.
Zuletzt geändert von stereo am Do, 15. Mär. 07, 22:39, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Dauergast

Beitrag von Dauergast » Do, 15. Mär. 07, 22:38

Reading http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZVS may help you to understand.

That means: You do not only have to fulfill the minimum requirements. If there are too many people applying for the same program (with respect to the maximum number of students that can be admitted), somebody has to make a decision based on something.

Although, ZVS doesn't apply for the TUHH, you will have to go through some kind of admission procedure.

Adnan
TalkING. Fan
TalkING. Fan

Beitrag von Adnan » Do, 15. Mär. 07, 23:16

it's a good system. I mean, that's the way it should be, und zwar, that's the way it is in most countries (especially Canada / States.)
In Austria they really don't give a shit. All you need to do is pass, they really don't care what "Note" you get.
Speaking of Noten, I always found it annoying that eine Note von eins ist "sehr gut"! Haha it's like come on at least try to give us something better than that! I'm pretty sure it's the same system in Germany (grades from 1 - 5)

Antworten