Studying/studied Mechatronics at the Harburg campus?

Support for International Students in Hamburg as well as German Students abroad.

Moderatoren: (M) Mod.-Team Allgemein, (M) Mod.-Team Betreuung Internat. Stud.

Antworten
cathal
TalkING. Newbie
TalkING. Newbie

Studying/studied Mechatronics at the Harburg campus?

Beitrag von cathal » Mo, 23. Okt. 06, 13:10

Hi,
I am from Ireland and am interested in studying on the Mechatronics Masters at the Harburg campus. I would like to get in contact with students who have studied or are studying on this course, and find out what their opinions on the course and university are.

I would appreciate any information.

Thank you.

Cathal

Dauergast

Beitrag von Dauergast » Mo, 23. Okt. 06, 20:11

Hi Cathal!

I removed your post from the other area to avoid crossposting but I think it is absolutely right here.

Personally, I'm in the mechatronics Dipl.-Ing. degree program at the TUHH. Since the Dipl.-Ing. and the MSc program are very similar I can certainly give you some answers.

I assume you have already had a chance to look at the material on the university's website:
http://www.tuhh.de/education/master/mec ... index.html

Out of the syllabus you see there I took the following myself:
-Industrial Process Automation
-Vibration Theory
-Robotics and Assembly Lines
-Electromechanics and Contromechanics
-Design and Implementation of Software Systems
-Discretization Methods in Mechanics
-Theory of Systems I
-International Business Management
-International Law

One warning upfront: Some courses were taught in German when I was taking them. I think this is steadily improved at the TUHH but you may want to check with the course coordinator Prof Rall (Rall@tu-harburg.de) or the International Academic Programs office (study@tu-harburg.de). But even if they teach in German all lecturers are willing to answer questions in english or may provide extra material for non-german students.

Those lectures that are taught in English usually have a non-native speaking lecturer but their language and pronounciation is fairly good. All courses cover quite high-level material but it depends on your background how you will feel about that. The quality may differ from one course to the next but is acceptable in my opinion.

If you have specific questions regarding the courses listed above, please feel free to get back to me. But if you didn't seek professional advice yet it would definitely be prudent to do so. Refer to the email addresses above.

With respect to the campus I can tell you that I like it very much. You have to notice that this university is rather small with just about 5,000 students. But that can also be an advantage because almost everything is very close by. The classes are also quite small, which helps to get a close personal contact to the professors. You can always have a little chat with the profs after each lecture, in case anything wasn't clear.

This will also help you to estimate what's expected in the exam. Some courses have suprisingly hard final examinations, while others don't. In general, the final examinations will have the highest weighting for your course grade. Projects or assignments are rare, so that you have more time for independent study that you should definitely use. However, the MSc degree will include some projects that are not directly related to a single course but still compulsory for the program.

Hope I got a lot of your questions with the first punch, did I?

Antworten